Legislation is moving through Congress that could have a profound impact on historic preservation. The Coalition for American Heritage opposes bills that would threaten America’s historic resources. We support bills that safeguard our national treasures.
The Coalition for American Heritage urges Congress to:
- Provide full funding for the Historic Preservation Fund, the National Endowment for the Humanities, and the National Science Foundation
- Help ensure the National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA) Section 106 process is predictable, consistent, and efficient—and appropriately balances preservation values and development needs
- Streamline the Section 106 process by digitizing agency and state cultural resource data and promoting early engagement with stakeholders to resolve concerns
- Oppose changes to NHPA review processes that would limit public input, consideration of historic resources, or opportunities for mitigation
- Preserve the President’s authority to designate national monuments
It is critically important for Members of Congress to hear from the historic preservation community. Share your stories about the work you have done to protect local landmarks and the importance of heritage sites in your area — both for promoting tourism and creating jobs in your town. You can make a strong case for legislation that supports and promotes America’s commitment to historic preservation.
For Coalition for American Heritage materials to use in contacting your legislator, click here.